Saturday, November 24, 2012

Learning

I have been intentionally learning about whole, real food, and stellar preparation of the food.  It has been a real source of joy and healing, both physically and spiritually for me.  After debating for a while, I decided to share my love of learning about and creating food.

Join me on this adventure!

Today I will be making salmon patties.  I can the salmon my husband and his friends catch, and love to make it into patties.  The recipe is never the same twice.  Today I am looking at getting the chives that are in my garden, hanging on for dear life, and probably crumbs from the sourdough bread I made yesterday.  I almost always add flax, and of course eggs.  We shall see what else lands in the patties today.  Along with the patties will be roasted red potatoes.  I made a compound butter with chives, rosemary, oregano and thyme for my Thanksgiving turkey and rolls, so the potatoes will be bathed in that.  I think I shall make baked turnip fries as well.  This year is the first time we have ventured out of our comfort zone to get a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community-supported_agriculture.  Part of this adventure is using all of the goodies that come in the box I get each week.  I find new ways of making things that are new to me, and maybe to you as well.

My goals are to keep this to whole real foods.


I grew up in a family that eats like most, maybe a bit healthier.  Canned veggies were the norm, and though we made our main dish from scratch, we always used canned or processed products in the mix.  I still have a ways to go, but my goal is to get completely away from processed foods.  So far I can my own garden products, including making pizza and spaghetti sauce, as well as ketchup (which my family is still getting used to). Day by day, little by little I am moving my family further from the junk that clutters the local grocery shelves, and into a real food lifestyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment